Did you see the Stacey Dooley documentary a few weeks ago – Fashions Dirty Secret?
Clip – Fashions Dirty Secret (taken from BBC iPlayer – next aired 10 December on BBC 3)
Yep, i’m still banging on about it! She seems to have lifted the lid on the horrific affects the clothing industry is having towards the decline of our planet and it’s set off a fire in my belly to look into more ethical clothing brands. I’ve always been a big believer in slower style and as a personal stylist, it’s my passion and job to show you how to make the most of your wardrobe and I truly believe you should love every item you own (even those comfort clothes for slobbing in front of the TV in).
So, thanks to the influencers and the power of social media, we’re being made more aware of the ethical brands out there, the ones who use organic cotton, who re-work old materials or shop vintage. But what about our under crackers? I’m a HUGE believer in the power of good undies. I actually use my underwear as a way to make myself feel better in situations that make me anxious. Let me elaborate – for those of you who may not know me (yet), I suffer with anxiety and in situations where I know this is going to be heightened – dentist, aeroplane, train – I’ll don my most fancy undies. It’s just my little way of being able to tell myself, I may be feeling really crappy on the inside and I may not have dressed in my Sunday best, but damn my undies are good and no one else knows that i’ve slutted it up under my outfit du jour! It’s a great way to inject your personality into your style and jooj things up a bit.
They are the foundations for your outfit. There’s no point wearing a top that’s cost you 2 months salary and shoving your boobs into the cheapest / smallest bra that gives you 4 boob! You want to be investing in those undies as you would your outer garments and leave those greying panties for your period days.
There are small independent underwear brands out there that are both ethical and sexy and i’ve done the hard graft in finding them for you. These are my top 3 and i’ll definitely be shopping these in the future and saying au revoir to the mainstream high street brands until they get in line and join this new ethical way of life.
- Hand made to order in East London
- All material is responsibly sourced or reworked from old clothes
- They use models of all shapes to model the undies online and cater for big boobies
- Great for your basic and simple styles – what I would call your every day undies
- You really can have it all – they’re sexy and sustainable
- There’s absolutely no wastage of material. The brand make one off limited edition pieces out of leftover material
- UK designed in Suffolk
- Materials used consist of Bamboo, Soy, Hemp, Organic Cotton
- They’re a world wide brand
- They have started sending out their parcels in recycled packaging
- They use recycled materials
- The cotton used to make their clothes is grown from the BCI
- They pitch at an affordable price point
- They’re more than just undies – you can pick up some cracking clothes
Never one to stick to my guns, there’s one final brand i’d like to shout about too. Under Protection – it’s a brand I follow on social media, but unfortunately you can’t buy direct from their website as they’re Danish based, but have listed their UK stockists, which i’ve posted here
All the products used to make their stunning underwear are from recycled products and they have a page dedicated to introducing you to #whomademyclothes – something we should always continue to ask
Please do get in touch with your thoughts and comments, I love hearing what you guys have to say. Or if you’d like to work with me, you can contact me at email@example.com or you can read more about my bespoke services here